Accommodation / Finland
The Hotel Korpikartano was originally a boarding school for those growing up in this remote part of the world and is, therefore, full of quirks, character and charm. The welcome provided by the owners, Anne and Timo, creates a wonderful atmosphere and their passion for the region is infectious.
The hotel’s location couldn’t be more idyllic, with a fantastic outlook over Lake Menesjärvi and the remote wilderness beyond. The lack of artificial light in the area ensures that if the Aurora appears, then you may well be able to enjoy fantastic displays very close to the hotel.
The hotel comprises two main buildings. The main building houses the dining room and a number of bedrooms. A separate annexe building (a very short walk away) houses the majority of the guest accommodation.
- Traditional home cooking is the order of the day in the hotel’s restaurant. The food can be described as 'simple, tasty and hearty' and is very much designed to fuel you up for your outdoor adventures. In many cases, the evening’s set menu will contain local ingredients such as fresh fish that Timo has caught himself or meat purchased from the local reindeer herders. The set evening meals are all self-service and you can also purchase a range of wine, beer and spirits to accompany your meal. Please let us know at the time of booking if you have any dietary requirements so these can be accommodated
- Obviously, saunas are a pre-requisite in these parts and there are two in the main building as well as an outdoor wood-burning sauna. Should you request the use of the outdoor sauna (a local charge will apply), don't forget that a dip in the lake is almost obligatory (as long as you are in a good physical condition)
- The simple lounge (near the reception) provides tea and coffee making facilities. Consider this to be the perfect spot to relax by the stove with a book but remember to keep your eyes peeled for the Northern Lights as the windows face north! There is also a TV in case you fancy watching some unfathomable Finnish TV
- There is free Wi-Fi for guests to use throughout both buildings and there is a PC available at reception
- Books and games are also available to borrow from reception
The 28 guest bedrooms vary in size and shape. They are cosy, comfortable and decorated with locally-sourced wood in a Scandinavian style. Some of the furniture has been crafted by Timo's own hand. All guest bedrooms have an en-suite bathroom with shower and a hairdryer. Cups and kettles are provided in each room and a variety of teas and coffee is available in each building for you to take to your room.
Image credit: Timo Halonen, Matt Robinson
Holidays that feature this accommodation
Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /data/web/test.theaurorazone.com/plugins/mrzen/holiday_locator/holiday_locator.php on line 62
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /data/web/test.theaurorazone.com/plugins/mrzen/holiday_locator/holiday_locator.php on line 64
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /data/web/test.theaurorazone.com/plugins/mrzen/holidayaccommodation/holidayaccommodation.php on line 199
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /data/web/test.theaurorazone.com/plugins/mrzen/holiday_images/holiday_images.php on line 77
Warning: end() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /data/web/test.theaurorazone.com/templates/artisan/html/com_zenaccommodations/accommodation/default_holidays.php on line 55